Disclosure: This content was produced by an independent editorial party for the purposes of educating our customers, and is not influenced by the other business operations of CARCHEX.
The Hyundai bumper-to-bumper warranty covers several issues that could arise in a car, including electrical, mechanical, and interior issues. But Hyundai’s factory warranty is limited to just a few years of protection, and not all repairs are covered.
We’ll help you find great protection for your Hyundai at the best price. Keep reading to get peace of mind on the road.
Hyundai Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty: What’s Covered?
Each new Hyundai is covered by a standard Hyundai warranty that is referred to as bumper-to-bumper coverage. Typically, this coverage lasts for either five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.
The Hyundai factory warranty, called Assurance, is known as “America’s Best Warranty.” It’s true that the coverage provided by an authorized Hyundai dealer is some of the most comprehensive options available when compared to other new car warranties.
A comprehensive Hyundai warranty (the New Vehicle Limited Warranty) includes protection for:
- Audio systems — 3 years/36,000 miles or 5 years/60,000 miles depending on model year (Equus: 5 years/60,000 miles)
- Paint — 3 years/36,000 miles
- Battery — Up to 3 years/unlimited miles or a lifetime hybrid battery warranty (2018-2019 models)
- Air conditioner refrigerant charge — 1 year/unlimited miles
- Adjustments to the vehicle — 1 year/12,000 miles
- Wear items — 1 year/12,000 miles
- Perforation (rusted body sheet metal)— 7 years/unlimited miles
- Roadside assistance — 5 years/unlimited miles
- Replacement parts — 12 months/12,000 miles (Covers repairs or replacements for defective Hyundai Genuine Replacement Parts or Accessories)
- Accessories — 1 year/unlimited miles
- Complimentary maintenance — 3 years/36,000 miles (2020 models purchased after February 1, 2020)
- Full powertrain — 10 years/100,000 miles (see details more below)
- Emissions components — Up to 8 years/80,000 miles (Federal and California emissions)
While the bumper-to-bumper terminology suggests your car is comprehensively covered, think again. Several areas are not protected by Hyundai’s factory coverage, which means that several components, such as interiors, tires, and oil systems, aren’t covered at all. You’ll have to pay out of pocket for any of these repairs.
Though, the complimentary maintenance is a win for Hyundai owners. Factory scheduled maintenance intervals for three years or 36,000 miles is included for new Hyundai vehicles purchased on or after February 1, 2020. This covers engine oil and oil filter changes (using Hyundai Genuine Oil filters and Hyundai Recommended Oil), tire rotations, and multi-point inspections.
Hyundai Powertrain Warranty
A powertrain warranty generally covers the parts of a powertrain, including the engine, transmission, transaxle, front and rear drive systems, etc.
Powertrain warranties and bumper-to-bumper warranties are usually two separate coverage levels. One of the biggest differences is that powertrain warranties tend to last longer than bumper-to-bumper warranties. They also cover fewer parts, compared to a comprehensive bumper-to-bumper warranty. This is true for the Hyundai powertrain warranty.
The Hyundai 10-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Warranty covers the repairs or replacement of selected engine and transmission/transaxle components. The parts must have been originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai and be defective in material or factory workmanship.
The full 10-year warranty only applies to the original owner if your model is from 2004 or later. Coverage applies to both the original owner and immediate family members if your model is from 1999–2003.
Is the Hyundai Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty Transferable?
If you decide to sell your vehicle before the Hyundai warranty expires, the bumper-to-bumper warranty and other coverage terms are transferred to the new owner. However, there are a couple exceptions. The 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty is reduced to 5 years/60,000 miles for the second owner and is covered under the Hyundai bumper-to-bumper warranty. Also, the complimentary maintenance is not transferable to subsequent owners.
What to Expect When Your Warranty Expires
When your warranty expires, there is one thing that you can count on: All repair and maintenance costs will fall to you. Like most cars, Hyundai vehicles tend to need more repairs in their later years—after their factory warranties have expired.
For example, most cars need their timing belts replaced around 60,000–100,000 miles. This repair alone can cost more than $1,000 for Hyundais, and engine replacement can run much as $4,000, according to RepairPal and Car Care Council, respectively.
You bought your Hyundai because it’s extremely reliable and you want it to last. But even a trusted Hyundai can have an average annual repair cost of $468.
A Hyundai extended warranty can cover major and minor costs and may be the best option for your vehicle over the long run.
You can purchase a Hyundai extended bumper-to-bumper warranty from an authorized Hyundai dealership (called a Hyundai Protection Plan) or a third-party provider. CARCHEX is a third-party provider that offers Extended Vehicle Protection Plans for Hyundai vehicles.
Buying a third-party extended warranty is a great idea if you want to maintain peace of mind and keep your Hyundai on the road for as long as possible.
Why Get an Extended Warranty
Ask yourself these three questions to determine whether you need an extended Hyundai bumper-to-bumper warranty:
- Are you interested in keeping your car for a long time or selling it at some point?
- If you’re planning to keep your car for years to come, you’ll want protection after your factory warranty expires.
- If you think you might sell your car eventually, an extended warranty is an excellent way to increase the resale price. Many extended warranty providers offer warranties that can be transferred from owner to owner.
- Do you have room in your budget to cover potentially major surprise expenses?
- With an extended car warranty, you are paying for peace of mind. If and when you incur a massive repair bill, the cost doesn’t come out of your pocket.
- You can pay for an extended warranty all at once or over a few years, making monthly payments consistent and manageable.
- What level of risk are you willing to live with?
- Your car will not stay new forever. Eventually, your car will probably need a major repair. If you pay into an extended car warranty, you will never have to cover these costs on your own.
Check out the cost of these common car maintenance and repair issues and determine whether or not you are willing or able to cover them on your own.
Common Hyundai Repairs
Even reliable cars like Hyundais need replacements and repairs beyond regular maintenance. These are some of the most common repairs and what they could cost you if you don’t have Hyundai warranty coverage.
Get More with an Extended Warranty from CARCHEX
To protect yourself from high repair costs, consider an extended warranty with CARCHEX. We offer much more protection than the Hyundai bumper-to-bumper warranty, and our coverage lasts far longer (up to 10 years). An extended warranty from CARCHEX can keep your car covered past the 5-year/60,000-mile limit of your Hyundai bumper-to-bumper warranty. We provide much more flexible coverage in the process.
CARCHEX offers competitive Extended Vehicle Protection Plans—including bumper-to-bumper and powertrain options—that fit your exact needs and budget. Here’s a look at the five levels of coverage offered by CARCHEX:
Our coverage plans aren’t the only reason why you should get extended vehicle coverage for your Hyundai vehicle from CARCHEX. Other advantages include:
- Our CARCHEX Care Plan Benefits include 24/7 roadside assistance, towing, gas delivery, trip interruption services, and more.
- Our payments options are flexible and affordable.
- With the motto “Customer Experience Above All,” we prioritize customer service.
- We also promise a No-Haggle, Low Price, Everyday Guarantee™, so you can be sure you’re getting a good deal.
- CARCHEX makes claim payments directly to the repair shop, so you don’t have to wait to be reimbursed.
- Your free quote is tailored to your car, budget, driving habits, and needs.
- If you’re not satisfied, we offer a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee.
We’re backed by trusted industry experts, including Kelley Blue Book, CARFAX, Edmunds.com, the Vehicle Protection Association, and more.
Get a Free Quote
CARCHEX has been offering extended car warranty service for more than 20 years. With an A+ customer service rating from the Better Business Bureau, great value, and flexible options to fit your needs, it’s easy to see why CARCHEX is rated at the top of the industry. In fact, ThoroughlyReviewed gives us at perfect 10.0 score.
Find great bumper-to-bumper coverage for your Hyundai by getting a free quote online or calling CARCHEX toll-free at 866-261-3457 today.