It’s easy to picture yourself in a new car when you see them everywhere, including on TV and in magazine ads. Buying a new car is an intense decision and car makers know that. Each year, engineers come up with new designs and extras to attract you to them. As important as it is to know what you can afford, you must also know what type of car you need. A new car might look good driving down the freeway, but is it practical? The following are examples of the basic types of new cars:
- Sedan: This type of vehicle may contain two to four doors. It has a hardtop and often includes extras such asleather interior.
- Sport Utility Vehicle: These cars have features of both minivans and trucks. They are big enough to fit multiple people and luggage. These types of vehicles can be taken off-road.
- Station Wagon: These kinds of cars have recently become popular again. They are sometimes easier to handle than an SUV and have extra space to haul stuff.
- Subcompact: This type of car is smaller than most cars and might offer luxury items, as well as a hatchback trunk.
- Full-Size Van: These cars are much like a truck that have an open interior and can sometimes carry up to 15 people.
- Minivan: These vehicles offer some of the same features of a full-size van.
- SUV: They are popular among families.
The best way to determine which type of vehicle is right for you is by making a list of all the uses for your car. This list might include shopping trips, vacations, weekly trips to the grocery store, recreation, carpools and commuting to work. Once you decide how often you will use your car for each type of trip, think about what gear you will take along with you.
An SUV might be nice, but a less expensive minivan might work better. A subcompact car price might be attractive, but might not give you enough room to fit everything you need for a weekend trip. You might want a sedan, but it might not have enough trunk room for you. You should also think about gas mileage and how many miles you might drive in a week.
It’s best not to be tempted to buy a car for the wrong reasons. You should always research the features of a new car, as well as determine whether it is safe and efficient enough for your use. Then narrow your search according to these factors.
You should also keep the car warranty in mind. Ask the dealer what type of warranty is offered. You may want to purchase an extended warranty to protect your investment.