Are you prepared for the next round of winter weather? Before the next snowstorm hits, it’s vital to stock your car with essential items.
CARCHEX’s Consumer Auto Advocate appeared on WBAL to share the eight winter must-haves for your vehicle.
- Full Gas Tank: You should have at least half a tank of gas in your vehicle. This will help prevent fuel lines from freezing.
- Ice Scraper and Brush: This might sound obvious, but it’s important to clear all of the ice and snow off your car (including lights). We’ve all been behind the car who has snow flying off their roof and onto our windshield. Don’t be that person.
- Shovel: Keep a shovel in your trunk to clear additional parking or dig out from around your wheels.
- Tire Gauge: Dropping temperatures will cause tire pressure to do the same. Make sure your pressure is at the appropriate level for your vehicle.
- Salt (or Kitty Litter): Apply this around your tire for better traction on an icy driveway or your parking spot. This also helps to melt the snow.
- Blanket and Cold Weather Gear: During the blizzard, we heard a lot of nightmare stories about drivers stuck in their vehicles. This is important for maintaining your body temperature if you’re trapped in your car.
- Jumper Cables: Car batteries hate the frigid weather just as much as we do, so have these handy in case you or a fellow driver need them.
- Emergency Roadside Kit: This is actually something you should have year-round, but its critical in the winter when car issues seem to pop up more frequently.