Comparing the best used car warranty companies to find the right plan for your budget and driving habits will save you time, money, and trouble in the long run. To make it easy, we’ve done the research for you.
Keep reading for:
- Features you should look for in used car warranty companies
- A comparison of providers and plans
- The difference between mechanical breakdown insurance and extended warranties
- What a used car warranty covers
- Benefits of a used car warranty
What Should I Consider When Buying a Used Car Warranty?
When you have a used car, it’s important to maintain it with a used car warranty. Some important items you should consider when buying a used car warranty are:
- How much coverage you’ll get—This is one of the most important factors to look at when buying a used car warranty. Many extended warranties will come with different coverage tiers, each with its own price and level of coverage. Take the time to read the fine print and determine what is and isn’t covered by your warranty. Make sure the coverage is for repairs and replacements to the parts of the car you want covered.
- How long the coverage lasts—You’ll want to get a used car warranty that goes beyond your original manufacturer’s warranty. You also want to make sure that you get a warranty that is transferrable, should you decide to sell the car.
- Cost of the warranty—When you’re shopping for a used car warranty, look at different quotes before making a purchase. This will typically vary based on the make and model of your vehicle. Make sure you understand the complete price of your warranty and determine if there are monthly costs you will have to pay.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating—This rating is based on the BBB’s opinion of how the business interacts with its customers and is obtained from information on the business and public complaints.
Comparison of Car Warranty Companies
Finding the right warranty provider can make all the difference when it comes to extending the life of your car. To help make the buying process easier for you, we’ve put together a list of what the best warranty companies should offer their customers:
- A commitment to providing excellent customer service and representative availability whenever you need it
- Accreditation from the Better Business Bureau and backing by solid participants in the auto industry
- Competitive prices and affordable, flexible payment plans to fit any budget
- A wide range of auto warranty plans to fit the specific needs of their customers
- Transparency about the benefits they do (and do not) offer
- Ability to use the repair shop you trust most
- Claims that are paid directly to the repair shop (so you don’t have to wait for reimbursement)
- Ability to cancel anytime and a 30-day money back guarantee (with prorated refunding after the guarantee is up)
The chart below compares some of the most well-known car warranty companies in the industry on these factors:
CARCHEX leads the competition with its extended warranty plans for several reasons:
- Our A+ customer service rating from the BBB places us among the best used car warranty companies in the market.
- We’ve been endorsed by top industry-leading companies such as Edmunds, RepairPal, Thoroughly Reviewed, and CARFAX.
- CARCHEX has had a 99.9% customer satisfaction rating for the past three years as measured by the BBB.
- We offer affordable and flexible payment plans that are customized to your driving needs.
What Do I Need: Mechanical Breakdown Insurance, Auto Insurance & Extended Vehicle Warranty
Drivers of used cars may be wondering what’s the best protection for their vehicles. Mechanical breakdown insurance, auto insurance and extended warranties are three difference options that drivers might explore.
- Auto insurance will help pay for damages to your vehicle in the event of a theft or accident.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance pays for unexpected mechanical problems that are not related to accidents. This type of insurance is extremely similar to extended car warranties (which are also known as Vehicle Protection Plans) — as they both pay for unexpected repairs.
- Extended car warranties or vehicle protection plans may also include additional perks (trip interruption benefits, 24/7 emergency roadside service, etc.) that mechanical breakdown insurance may not offer.
Similarities Between Breakdown Insurance and Extended Warranties
Both mechanical breakdown insurance and extended car warranties:
- pay for repairs that don’t occur from normal wear and tear
- require a monthly payment
- will make you pay a deductible before any repairs are covered
Differences Between Breakdown Insurance and Extended Warranties
While these two options are similar, the main difference between them is that only business entities with a Property and Casualty insurance license can provide mechanical breakdown insurance, while vehicle protection plans are provided by companies that specialize in these plans and may offer additional benefits and perks.
If you want more comprehensive coverage and a variety of benefits, consider purchasing an extended warranty.
What Does a Used Car Warranty Cover?
At CARCHEX, we provide a variety of extended warranty options for you and your vehicle that include coverage of your:
- Engine components, like the water pump, oil pump, and connecting rods
- Transmission components, like the torque converter, vacuum modulator, and transmission mounts
- Drive axle components, like the axle shafts, universal joints, and hub bearings.
Coverage of your fuel delivery, electrical, air conditioning, braking, and steering components are covered within our higher-tier plans.
Here’s a quick look at the industry-leading coverage levels we offer—with a number of plans within each—so you can ensure that you get the plan that’s right for you.
Benefits of a Used Car Warranty with CARCHEX
Here are some other benefits of CARCHEX used car warranties:
- We offer affordable payment plans for those who can afford low monthly payments but would be weighed down by an untimely $3,000 repair.
- CARCHEX provides consultative customer service so you don’t have to worry about haggling, limited choices, or high markups. You get customized quotes tailored specifically to your budget, driving habits, and needs.
- We provide 24/7 roadside assistance that includes gas delivery, towing, and trip interruption service.
- You get to choose your repair facility and aren’t forced to take your car to the dealership. We partner with more than 30,000 facilities nationwide, so whether you prefer Firestone, Pep Boys, Goodyear, a dealer, or are loyal to your local garage, you’ll be able to take your car to the mechanic you trust most.
- CARCHEX offers a No-Haggle, Low Price, Everyday GuaranteeTMand a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee with an Extended Vehicle Protection Plan to ensure that you’re completely satisfied with your used car warranty.
With these benefits, CARCHEX makes it easy for you to compare the best vehicle protection plans for your needs.
Research Auto Warranty Provider Reviews
When comparing your used vehicle warranty options, don’t forget to review third-party reviews and comparisons of used car warranty companies. Learn what the experts have to say about used car protection:
Here are what some of our customers say:
“CARCHEX has good service and I’ve never had a problem. I have three vehicles covered by them currently and also had one before. Everything that’s covered has been covered. Whenever I’ve taken a car in, my service advisor takes care of the problem. I’ve recommended CARCHEX to a couple of people who would’ve taken advantage of it.” — Dave (Peoria, AZ)
“I’m still satisfied with my car and I wanted to keep it longer beyond the original warranty. I found CARCHEX online and I talked to someone over the phone and he was very courteous and knowledgeable. It was a good experience and CARCHEX should keep up the good work.” — Bervin (Virginia Beach, VA)
Call a CARCHEX Representative Today About Your Used Car Warranty
Find the affordable coverage you’re looking for with one of our used car warranties. Call us at 866-261-3457 and speak to one of our representatives about purchasing a used car warranty today.
Consumer Affairs: www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_warranty/carchex.html
Better Business Bureau: bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/extended-warranty-contract-service-companies/carchex-in-hunt-valley-md-23015869
Better Business Bureau: https://www.bbb.org/council/overview-of-bbb-grade/