When you bought your Volkswagen, you did your research and went to the VW dealership armed with the necessary knowledge to secure a car. The search for a Volkswagen extended warranty should be no different.
The car warranty experts at CARCHEX can help you understand what's covered in an extended warranty and find the best coverage plan for you.
What Is Covered by My Volkswagen Factory Warranty?
When you drive your new Volkswagen off the lot, you're covered by a basic manufacturer's warranty. Here's what's included at a glance:
- 1-year / 12,000-mile part limited warranty—Warranty replacement and customer-purchased parts are covered by this plan.
- 6-year / 72,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty (basic coverage)—This warranty provides limited coverage of your battery, brake pads, wheel alignment, paint, wiper blades, and mechanical adjustments (parts must be supplied by Volkswagen). However, maintenance services, tire issues, and mechanical adjustments are not covered.
There are additional warranties for specific Volkswagen vehicles, including:
- 3-year / 36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty
- 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain limited warranty
- 12-year / 120,000-mile anti-perforation warranty
Is a Volkswagen Extended Warranty Worth It?
When your factory warranty ends, how will you cover the cost of repairs? Like most Volkswagen drivers, you want to ensure the reliability and longevity of your vehicle.
Damaged company transparency has not done much to boost the confidence of VW drivers—and the terms of the company's warranty plans have been difficult to decipher among consumers. Additionally, most Volkswagens are expected to experience problems with their transmissions, power windows, and headlights.
To make matters worse, VW owners are expected to pay nearly $8,000 for repairs over the first 10 years of the car's life.
Can You Afford to Repair Your Volkswagen?
The longer you have your Volkswagen, the more likely it is that you will have to pay for an expensive repair.
- The cost to replace the clutch on an average Volkswagen can range between $573 and $2,239.
- Replacing the alternator can cost more than $3,400.
Keep in mind that VW factory warranties cover the cost of repairs only if you have your car serviced at a specific licensed Volkswagen dealership and only if the part that needs repairs is the original VW part. If you're not close to a dealership, you may not be able to ensure you get the service you need.
An extended warranty will help cover your vehicle and save you time and money on repairs. Don't pay for repairs out of pocket—protect yourself with an extended warranty.
How Do I Get the Best Deal on an Extended Warranty?
To make sure you find the best warranty plan for your vehicle, there are some key factors to consider:
- Buy from Third-Party Warranty Providers
- Car dealerships often mark up the price of an extended warranty or will roll it into your car payment, causing you to pay interest on the price of the warranty.
- Third-party warranty providers generally offer the most affordable warranty coverage because they work independently of vehicle manufacturers.
- Remember that you don't have to buy a dealership warranty on the spot.
- Purchase an Extended Warranty Before Your Factory Warranty Expires
- One solid method of lowering the cost of your protection plan is to buy an extended warranty before your current factory warranty expires.
- Do Your Research
- Performing research on different warranty provider options can help you save on your protection plan. Look for companies that offer competitive warranty pricing with affordable and flexible payment plans. Several third-party review sites have conducted reviews of the best auto warranty providers to help with your search.
7 Tips for Buying an Extended Warranty for Your VW
With so many companies offering vehicle service contracts, the trick is to find a company that is reputable and offers the coverage you want.
Here are the top seven features to look for in the fine print of your vehicle service contract:
- Your plan should cover both mechanical failures as well as "wear and tear" repairs.
- Make sure the contract takes effect when you buy the warranty, not when you bought the car.
- Your extended warranty should come with a 100% money-back guarantee effective for 30 or 60 days.
- Look for plans with no deductible or at least deductibles charged only per eligible repair visit.
- A good extended warranty will cover the costs of towing, a rental car, meals, and lodging if your car breaks down far from home.
- Avoid plans that only cover eligible repairs done at the dealer of purchase or at the same brand dealership.
- Your warranty should pay the repair shop directly. Don't agree to pay up front and wait for reimbursement.
Volkswagen Extended Warranties from CARCHEX
When you choose extended warranty coverage from CARCHEX, you can rest assured that you'll be protected in the event of an expensive repair.
The chart below explains our five levels of coverage with a variety of protection plans within each.
Benefits of a Volkswagen Extended Warranty with CARCHEX
Here are a few things you can expect when you get coverage with CARCHEX:
- Affordable Payment Options—We offer flexible, low monthly payment plans (and no down payment) so you can avoid those $2,500 out-of-pocket repairs that aren't so budget friendly. In fact, the average monthly coverage cost of a CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Plan for a 2007–2014 Volkswagen is just $68.*
- Your Choice of Repair Shop—We partner with over 30,000 repair facilities so you won't have to switch from your favorite neighborhood mechanic. This also gives you the flexibility when deciding where to take your car for a repair.
- Claims Paid Directly to the Repair Facility—We make it easy so you don't have to foot the bill and wait for reimbursement.
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee—CARCHEX is proud to stand behind our products and services. If you're not completely satisfied, you'll get a refund.
- Exceptional Customer Service—We boast an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and a 99.9% satisfaction rating from the people who matter most—our customers.
Call CARCHEX Today for Your Free Warranty Quote
Getting a quote on a Volkswagen extended warranty is free, fast, and easy. Just call the warranty experts at CARCHEX at 866-261-3457 and we'll help you determine which vehicle protection plan is right for you.
Consumer Reports: http://www.consumerreports.org/extended-warranties/extended-car-warranties-an-expensive-gamble/
Auto Guide: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/05/should-you-buy-an-extended-warranty-for-your-car.html
Repair Pal: http://repairpal.com/volkswagen
Repair Pal: https://repairpal.com/problems/volkswagen
Thoroughly Reviewed: https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/car-warranty/extended-car-warranty-company-reviews/
*Figure accurate as of May 2017. Average monthly coverage cost is based on the average total price of the Vehicle Protection Plan over a four year coverage period. Actual monthly payments will vary per plan's payment policy. Individual pricing is subject to change based on the combination of make, model, year, and mileage as well as coverage level and term length.