According to AAA, about 39.1 million total travelers will head out of town this Labor Day weekend, roughly 32.9 million by car. Remember these 5 tips and you will be on the road to faster travels.
1. Travel at off-peak times like early Saturday morning.
2. Choose your destination wisely. The majority of the population will be traveling to the popular summer destinations – try choosing a less occupied area this year.
3. If you are taking a toll road, make sure to have a transponder available so you can save time at the tolls.
EZ Pass – Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, and West Virginia.
SunPass – Florida
FasTrack – California
4. Before you leave your house, make sure to check traffic conditions, or while on the road, a passenger can check traffic conditions from their mobile device.
– Some GPS Navigation Apps like CoPilot Live or Google Maps offer free traffic services.
– NAVTEQ offers two free mobile services, a hotline at 1-866-MY-TRAFC (1-866-698-7232) and a mobile website mobi.traffic.com.
5. Drive Safely! Make sure to stay calm on the road even if there is traffic. Road rage is a recipe for disaster! Additionally, be extra careful on the road so you can avoid causing a traffic accident.