Buying extended warranty coverage for your General Motors vehicle can protect your wallet against unexpected repair costs. But before you purchase GM's factory coverage, be sure to learn about its limitations and how a third party warranty might benefit you. Here are some shopping tips to find the best warranty coverage for your GM or Chevrolet vehicle at the most affordable price.
Extended Warranty Basics: GM Protection Plans
The General Motors Protection Plan (GMPP) is the warranty policy from GM and Chevrolet. This plan comes from the dealer and allows you the choice between three levels of coverage:
Major Guard — Covers 7,400 components of the car, which is the highest level offered by GM. It covers most repairs at a GM dealership due to defect, craftsmanship, or wear-and-tear.
Value Guard — Covers roughly 2,900 pieces of the car and, like the Major version, offers repairs done by a GM dealership or licensed mechanic.
Basic Guard — The third and lowest level of the GM extended warranty covers specific components.
Whether you buy one of these GM warranty plans or want to shop around a bit, be sure you read the fine print and understand exactly what's covered and what's excluded. While you're researching your options, also read driver reviews and complaints of the GMPP.
Limitations & What's Not Covered
Here are a few things to keep in mind when considering a GM Protection Plan from a GM dealer.
- Parts not original to the car and parts that were not installed by an authorized GM technician are not covered under the GM Protection Plan.
- Repairs must be done by a certified service technician at an authorized GM dealership in order for the costs to be covered.
- Having parts (including tires) repaired or replaced anywhere other than a GM dealership could void your warranty.
- Coverage exclusions are extensive and detailed, so read the warranty agreement carefully.
Keep in mind that GM drivers are not limited to GM warranty coverage on their vehicles, and that third-party warranty providers often offer more flexible terms and more coverage options.
Third Party Extended Warranties
A third-party warranty plan offers comparable protection for your GM extended warranty at a more affordable price. Here are some tips dealers don't want you to know when you're shopping for an extended warranty:
- Avoid that dealership mark-up
Dealers often mark up the price of a warranty when throwing it on top of the car's purchase price. They'll also tell you that you have to buy the coverage at the same time as the car.
- Repair options
Most third party warranties allow you flexibility to have your car repaired at your choice of auto mechanic shops. Manufacturer coverage limits you to the dealership's licensed locations.
- Buy before your GM factor warranty is up
In order to keep your costs low, buy your extended warranty before the factory warranty from GM expires.
Learning these tips will help you to save money and better understand what protection you need for your car.
What to Look for in an Extended Warranty
- Look for flexible coverage and term length.
- Look for reliability and a reputation for quality. Check out the Better Business Bureau to see if the company is accredited.
- Read coverage details and exclusions extensively.
- Make sure you can choose a mechanic you trust for your GM repairs.
- Find a company that pays claims directly to the repair shop (so you don't have to foot the bill and then wait around for reimbursement).
CARCHEX Extended Warranty Coverage
CARCHEX offers five different levels of coverage that can be tailored to fit your car and driving habits. We offer a number of protection plans within each level to suit your needs.
For nearly 20 years, CARCHEX has given drivers peace of mind and a superior customer experience. That's why CARCHEX boasts an A+ customer service rating from the Better Business Bureau. and is rated at the top of the industry.
Finding a warranty quote online is free, fast, and easy. Or call CARCHEX today at 866-261-3457 to find the extended warranty to cover your General Motors vehicle.
Better Business Bureau: www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/extended-warranty-contract-service-companies/carchex-in-hunt-valley-md-23015869
Thoroughly Reviewed: www.thoroughlyreviewed.com/car-warranty/carchex-reviews/
Consumer Affiars: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm-warranty.html