When you purchase a Subaru, you’re buying a car that gets you where you need to go, as well as where you want to adventure. What makes that even is better is knowing that your car is protected through the Subaru standard warranty—at least for the first few years.
The Subaru factory warranty is limited to three years or 36,000 miles, and its powertrain coverage is only five years or 60,000 miles of protection. When your warranty expires or you purchase a used Subaru, you’ll be responsible for all of the repair costs.
Read on to learn what your Subaru warranty doesn’t cover, how much it will cost you when your car breaks down, and why getting an extended warranty from a third-party provider like CARCHEX could save you thousands.
Subaru Warranty Coverage from the Dealership
Subaru of America warranty coverage is similar to across many car brands in the United States. But what exactly does this genuine Subaru coverage through a factory warranty include?
Subaru Basic Warranty (3 years/36,000 miles)
Subaru’s basic limited warranty that accompanies new vehicles is designed to protect you from any defects in the workmanship and mechanical aspects of your vehicle. The Subaru basic limited warranty provides the following for either the first three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first:
- Any part of your Subaru that is identified on the inside front cover of the Warranty & Maintenance Booklet.
- Any Subaru optional accessories
- In addition, adjustment services are covered one time only during the first 36 months/36,000 miles of operation, whichever comes first.
Subaru’s Limited Powertrain Warranty (5 years/60,000 miles)
In addition to the basic limited warranty, Subaru vehicles come with a basic powertrain warranty that covers your vehicle’s powerhouse for the first five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. This coverage protects the heart of your car, including the following parts:
- Engine block and all internal parts
- Cylinder heads and valve trains
- Oil pump and oil pan
- Timing belts or gears and cover
- Water pump
- Intake and exhaust manifolds
- Oil seals and gaskets
This Subaru warranty also protects against issues in your vehicle’s transaxle and differential. This includes the following parts:
- Transaxle case and internal parts
- Torque converter
- Electronic transmission control unit
- Seals and gaskets
- Axle shafts and constant velocity joints (except boots)
- Propeller shaft
- Wheel bearings
Subaru’s 5-year Rust Perforation Limited Warranty
Your new Subaru manufacturer warranty also includes a 5-year Rust Perforation Limited Warranty. This warranty doesn’t depend on mileage, so you can report issues involving corrosion and rust any time in the first five years of your vehicle ownership, regardless of where you’ve gone.
Subaru Rust Perforation Coverage only applies to perforation due to corrosion, like a rusted hole in a sheet metal panel. Cosmetic or surface corrosion, like scratches in your Subaru’s paint job, are not included in this warranty.
What a Subaru Limited Warranty Doesn’t Cover
While the phrase “bumper-to-bumper” may lead you to believe your entire vehicle is covered— from your front bumper to your rear bumper—it unfortunately is not the case. Here are the exceptions in your Subaru warranty:
- Parts covered by other warranties: Some parts, like tires, have their own warranties, so they’re not eligible for bumper-to-bumper coverage.
- Normal deterioration: If it’s routine maintenance or a cosmetic issue, it isn’t covered.
- Damage or malfunction due to improper repair or unauthorized parts: If your Subaru wasn’t properly authorized for repairs, or you’ve removed or installed parts not approved by Subaru, the issue won’t be covered.
- Damage or malfunction due to abuse, neglect, accident, or fire: If it’s out of Subaru’s control, like the weather or an error on your part, it’s not covered.
- Damage caused by a non-covered, unauthorized part: Damage caused by the failure of a non-covered part will not be covered.
- Damage caused due to vehicle in competitive events: If you’re racing in your Subaru, your basic limited warranty won’t cover any damage or repairs.
- Damage due to lack of maintenance or failure to follow instructions: If you’ve dropped the ball in maintaining your Subaru, and something in your vehicle fails or malfunctions, Subaru won’t be responsible.
- Damage caused by the environment: The warranty won’t cover damage from anything that’s a normal part of nature, like chemicals, tree sap, bird droppings, water, hail, or wind.
- Repairs by non-authorized Subaru dealers: Except in the case of emergency repairs, repairs performed at places other than an authorized Subaru dealer are not covered.
Cost of Subaru Repairs
As you can see, the Subaru manufacturer’s warranty won’t last forever. Don’t let your coverage expire and leave you on the hook for expensive car repairs. Here are the most common repairs for the 2017 Subaru Forester:
|Brake rotor replacement||$236-$420|
|Head gasket replacement||$1523-$2280|
|Automatic transmission diagnosis||$81-$104|
|Differential fluid replacement (front)||$81-$134|
|Differential fluid replacement (rear)||$81-$134|
Don’t want to get stuck paying these repairs out of your pocket? Consider an extended warranty via Subaru or a third-party supplier, like CARCHEX.
CARCHEX offers affordable and flexible extended warranty plans to keep you covered when the Subaru dealer cannot. Our plans last up to seven years.
A CARCHEX Plan That’s Right for You
If you opt into a factory extended warranty from Subaru, you’ll be pretty limited in your coverage. You’ll have to exclusively bring your Subaru back to the dealer for repairs and replacements instead of a mechanic you enjoy working with. Third-party extended warranty providers offer the flexibility you need to get the coverage you want.
In fact, CARCHEX offers five levels of coverage to fit your driving needs, with a number of protection plans within these. Here’s a quick look:
Here is more information on the range of CARCHEX Extended Vehicle Protection Plans:
- Titanium Coverage: The CARCHEX bumper-to-bumper plan that covers all components of the vehicle with a few exceptions.
- Platinum Coverage: Our highest level of stated-component coverage currently available.
- Gold Coverage: Is your car getting up there in mileage? This plan covers components on all major systems of your Subaru.
- Silver Coverage: How CARCHEX makes sure your vehicle’s major systems get the essential coverage they need.
- Bronze Coverage: The practical base plan designed to protect you from expensive engine and transmission repairs.
Comparing the Competition
When it comes to choosing a third-party provider for your Subaru warranty, you have choices, but not all businesses are created the same. Here’s how CARCHEX stacks up against the competition:
While other companies have been in the extended warranty business longer, it is easy to see CARCHEX leads the competition. After all, we deeply value customer satisfaction.
- CARCHEX has nearly 20 years in the auto warranty business.
- We are accredited by Better Business Bureau and have a 99.9% customer satisfaction rate from the site.
- Thoroughly Reviewed gives us a score of 10.0 on business ratings, coverage options, claims service, help and support, and repair services.
- We have endorsements and partnerships throughout the industry, including from Edmunds.com, Assurant, Vehicle Protection Association, Allstate, and more.
Extras You’ll Get If You Choose CARCHEX
It’s easy to see CARCHEX provides quality extended warranty coverage for your Subaru. While that may be all you get with other auto warranty companies, with CARCHEX, there’s more. In additions to extending your vehicle’s protection, here are some other benefits you will find with CARCHEX:
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance: If you encounter trouble on the road, know CARCHEX is ready to help with 24/7 roadside assistance included in your plan at no extra cost.
- Towing: If you need a tow, CARCHEX will have someone there for you.
- Rental Cars: Need a rental while your vehicle is being worked on in the repair shop? CARCHEX has you covered.
- Gas Delivery: Emergency gas delivery? No problem.
- Trip Interruption Service: Vacation postponed because of your car? We’ll help make up for it.
- Diagnostic Fee Coverage: Did finding the problem cost more than the problem itself? We won’t let you pay for the diagnostics out of pocket.
- Part Repair and Replacement: Does your car need a repair or a replacement? We’ll let you choose from our network of more than 30,000 mechanics. You won’t need to go to the dealer unless you want to.
- No-Haggle, Low Price, Everyday Guarantee™: We believe you shouldn’t have to haggle for the best price for your Subaru extended warranty.
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee: Not satisfied? We’ll make it up to you and give you your money back.
Superior Customer Experience with CARCHEX
For nearly 20 years, CARCHEX has been an industry leader in providing affordable, flexible extended auto warranties. Many outlets have CARCHEX at the top of the list and we’ve earned endorsements from RepairPal, DMV.org, Lending Tree, and CARFAX.
CARCHEX earned an A+ rating from Better Business Bureau, and each one of our vehicle protection specialists stresses “Customer Experience Above All.”
Call for a Free Quote Today
Finding an online quote is free, fast, and easy with CARCHEX. Don’t limit your peace of mind to what the manufacturer can offer in a Subaru warranty. Instead, work with a warranty company who knows how to fit your needs. Call CARCHEX at 866-708-5059 to find the best extended warranty for your Subaru today.
Thoroughly Reviewed: https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/car-warranty/carchex-reviews/
Better Business Bureau: http://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/extended-warranty-contract-service-companies/carchex-in-hunt-valley-md-23015869