Disclosure: This content was produced by an independent editorial party for the purposes of educating our customers, and is not influenced by the other business operations of CARCHEX.
Like any manufacturer’s warranty, your Toyota’s factory warranty has exceptions regarding what repairs are covered. As a car owner, it’s important to know what your current auto warranty covers and for how long. If you’re worried that the level of protection you’re getting isn’t enough—or know that you want coverage when it expires—consider a CARCHEX Extended Vehicle Protection Plan, which can last up to 10 years.
Toyota offers two types of warranties for their vehicles: one that comes with all new vehicles and one that can be purchased for extended coverage.
2020 Toyota New Car Warranty
When you drive your new Toyota off the lot, you’re covered with the following warranties:
- 3-year / 36,000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty
- Covers most components of your car with the exception of parts like tires and the interior
- 5-year / 60,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
- Covers the major power systems of the car, like the engine and transmission
- 5-year / unlimited-mile Corrosion Perforation Warranty
- Covers you from rust-through of some parts
- 3-year / 36,000-mile Emissions Components Warranty
- 8-year / 80,000-mile Emissions Performance warranty
- 10-year / 150,000-mile Hybrid Battery Warranty
In addition, Toyota includes two special coverage benefits that you may not find in other manufacturer’s warranties:
- 12-month/ 12,000-mile wheel alignment and balancing coverage
- 60-month/ 60,000-mile restraint systems coverage
- Includes seatbelts and airbags
Coverage under the Toyota warranty does not include wear and tear items, neglect or abuse, accidental damage, alterations, and other common exclusions.
What Is ToyotaCare?
When you purchase your new Toyota, you will also be equipped with ToyotaCare, which covers roadside assistance for 2 years/unlimited miles and maintenance services for 2 years/25,000 miles.
All maintenance and repairs are made by a certified Toyota technician with Toyota Genuine parts. When you put in a claim under your Toyota new car warranty, you will be required to visit a Toyota dealership or Toyota authorized repair facility.
After your Toyota warranty expires, your vehicle is no longer covered for free. Start shopping for an extended warranty before your factory warranty expires to get seamless coverage. Since the price of extended warranties increases as your car ages, getting an extended warranty while your Toyota is still under warranty can save you money in the long run.
Toyota Dealer Extended Warranties
When Toyota warranties expire, most drivers have the option of purchasing extended protection from Toyota in the form of a Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA). Toyota’s VSA programs include:
- Three levels of service agreement protection to choose from
- Flexible coverage terms lasting 3 years/50,000 miles to 8 years/125,000 miles
- Free access to Toyota’s nationwide service and support network
- 24/7 roadside assistance and travel protection
- Reimbursements on towing services, car rentals, meals, and lodging in case of a breakdown
- One-time warranty transfer between owners
Toyota extended warranties are available under three main plans:
- Powertrain Protection—Cover the cost of repairs for your Toyota’s engine, transmission, and drive axle.
- Gold Protection—Get middle-of-the-road coverage that extends beyond the powertrain but doesn’t cost as much as bumper-to-bumper coverage.
- Platinum Protection—This is the highest level of coverage offered by Toyota.
You may cancel your policy after 30 days for a $50 fee. And, you can transfer your warranty to a new owner at no additional cost.
The Cost of Repairing a Toyota Vehicle
Here are some of the repairs that Toyota drivers see—and what they pay for them:
- Transmission replacement—$5,220 to $6,516
- Water pump replacement—$302 to $1,306
- Fuel pump replacement—$658 to $2,617
- Front strut / shock absorber replacement—$124 to $1,054
- Alternator replacement—$348 to $1,211
- Timing belt replacement—$258 to $931
- Brake rotor replacement—$234 to $815
If these numbers are shocking to you, then you’re not alone. Few people are able to comfortably pay for these repairs out of pocket. That’s why many Toyota owners purchase extended coverage for their vehicles.
What You Don’t Get with Toyota Warranties
Whether you have a factory warranty that came with your Toyota the day you drove it off the lot or an extended warranty plan purchased through your dealer, there are some things that you just don’t get with manufacturer warranty plans.
Here’s what you’re missing out on:
- The freedom to choose your mechanic—Dealer warranties will require you to have your vehicle serviced only at specific dealership locations.
- The option to customize—Dealers sell off-the-rack warranties that can’t always be tailored to your needs.
- Price flexibility—When you buy a warranty from a Toyota dealer, you won’t find any flexibility when it comes to cost since prices are set at the brand level, not the consumer level.
- Money back guarantees—Unlike the best third-party providers, most manufacturers do not provide any kind of satisfaction guarantee.
Benefits of Toyota Extended Coverage from a Third-Party Company
When you choose to protect your Toyota with extended coverage from a third-party company like CARCHEX, you can be sure that you’re getting the most comprehensive coverage for an affordable price. In fact, the average monthly coverage cost of a CARCHEX Extended Vehicle Protection Plan for a 2007–2014 Toyota is just $56.*
We’ve been keeping drivers safe and on the road for over 20 years now with our Extended Vehicle Protection Plans, and we provide our customers with a long list of benefits, including:
- Affordable monthly payment plans that can fit any budget
- No down payment, so you can seamlessly get started right away
- Consultative customer service, so you can make sure your plan works for you
- Your choice of mechanic, so you can choose the repair shop you trust most
- Claims paid to the repair facility, so you don’t have to pay the bill out of pocket and then wait to be reimbursed
- Transferable terms, so you can pass the warranty along if you decide to sell your vehicle
- A 30-day Money Back Guarantee to ensure that you’re 100% pleased with your Toyota warranty
CARCHEX Protection Plans for Toyota Vehicles
CARCHEX coverage plans are comprehensive and affordable. You’ll find plans for both new and used cars, as well as cars with higher mileage. Get coverage that extends for years beyond your Toyota new car warranty.
Here’s a quick look at the five coverage levels we offer. Available within these levels are a number of protection plans that span from the most basic coverage to exclusionary coverage, which includes only a short list of items that aren’t covered.
Find the Right Toyota Warranty for You
To get the most out of your Toyota for years to come, consider an extended warranty from CARCHEX. Our experts can help you find the most comprehensive coverage available. We work with you to determine the best plan and coverage that’s right for you and your budget. Our low monthly payment plans under the CARCHEX Extended Vehicle Protection Plans require no money down to get started.
CARCHEX is also backed by an accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and by our very own customers, who give us a 99.9% satisfaction score.
Call Now for a Free Warranty Quote
Call CARCHEX today at 866-261-3457 to speak to one of our warranty experts about an extended Toyota warranty. We’ll work to find the right plan for your vehicle.
*Figure accurate as of May 2017. Average monthly coverage cost is based on the average total price of the Vehicle Protection Plan over a four year coverage period. Actual monthly payments will vary per plan’s payment policy. Individual pricing is subject to change based on the combination of make, model, year, and mileage as well as coverage level and term length.
Car and Driver: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29428255/2020-toyota-hybrid-electric-car-batteries-warranty/
Better Business Bureau: https://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/extended-warranty-contract-service-companies/carchex-in-hunt-valley-md-23015869