Disclosure: This content was produced by an independent editorial party for the purposes of educating our customers, and is not influenced by the other business operations of CARCHEX.
When you buy a used car, it’s easy to wonder, Is the reason they’re selling this car because something is wrong with it? Even if everything checks out with a mechanic, you are coming in part way through your vehicle’s story. Buying an extended warranty for a used car can help alleviate some of the uncertainty involved in purchasing process.
An extended warranty for used cars ensures that your vehicle stays protected when costly trips to the repair shop become a burden. Continue reading to learn how to find the best warranty for you and your used vehicle and how CARCHEX can help.
What Does an Extended Warranty Cover on a Used Car?
Extended warranties for used cars go beyond your standard manufacturer’s warranty or certified pre-owned warranty by stretching bumper-to-bumper and/or powertrain warranties for a longer amount of time. If your factory warranty expires and you choose to purchase an extended warranty, your used car can have comparable protection to a new vehicle. With the right warranty provider, you can opt for even more coverage than before through extended service.
The best warranties for used cars offer the following kinds of benefits:
- Diagnostic fee coverage. Sometimes finding the problem can cost more than the problem itself. If your policy includes diagnostic fee coverage, you can rest easy knowing your wallet won’t be hit twice as hard.
- Repair and replacement coverage. Over the years, your vehicle has gotten you (and its previous owners) to and from a number of places. Chances are, it’s going to need a few things repaired and replaced. With an extended warranty, these costs won’t come out of your pocket.
- 24/7 roadside assistance. The best extended warranties include this important benefit. If you get locked out or have a flat tire, help is on the way—at no extra charge.
- Towing. If your used car breaks down, we can tow it to the repair shop for you.
- Rental car services. If your car is in the shop, we can set you up with a rental car, so you can continue life as normal.
- Gas delivery. Choose an extended warranty with gas delivery in case you run out of fuel on the side of the road.
- Trip interruption service. Is your broken-down car stopping you from taking your trip or getting home safely? We’ll reimburse you.
Questions to Ask When Considering an Extended Warranty on a Used Car
There is a lot to think about before purchasing an extended warranty for your used car. Taking the time to do your research can help you pinpoint your needs and find the policy that has the proper coverage and best deals. There are many car warranty providers in the marketplace, and wading through the options can be overwhelming.
Benefits of Selecting a Third-Party Used Car Extended Warranty
If your used vehicle comes with an extended warranty, great! If it doesn’t, or if you’re looking for more customizable coverage, an extended warranty from a third-party provider like CARCHEX is an effective addition. Third-party extended warranties for used cars provide the following:
- More options for service, so you don’t have to be tied to a dealer matching your car’s manufacturer, if you’re used to manufacturer plans.
- No interest. Unlike manufacturer extended warranties, third-party extended warranties for used cars are not factored into a car loan, so you won’t be paying interest upon your warranty payments. They’re billed separately to save you money.
- Many third-party extended car warranties are transferable. That way, if you sell your used car, the policy can then transfer to its new owner, increasing the resale value.
How CARCHEX Stacks Up Against the Competition
When it comes to purchasing an extended warranty for used cars, you have options. You might be wondering, Where do I even begin? While other companies offer warranties that cover—or appear to cover—your needs, it is best to know what the plan fully entails. It’s also good to know exactly what you’re expected to pay, so there are no surprises when you receive your first bill. But before you reach those items, it’s best to know more about the company you’re dealing with, to make sure your policy is in good hands.
CARCHEX has been in the auto extended warranty business for years and is one of the oldest providers in the competition. The longevity of CARCHEX can only help you as a consumer. Compared to the competition, CARCHEX customers report higher satisfaction. That’s because we truly care about meeting your needs.
We’re not just singing our own praises, either. Our partnerships and endorsements speak for themselves. We’re supported by members of our industry, including CARFAX, RepairPal, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, and DMV.org.
In addition to our endorsements, our plans are backed by top-rated insurance and policy providers, so you can be confident that we can fulfill your repair.
We aim to make it as easy as possible to find an extended warranty for used cars and protect your vehicle. CARCHEX has won a Golden Bridge Award for customer service over three consecutive years. In addition, we stand out from our competitors by reducing inconvenient hold times and transfers, as well as increasing on-call resolutions.
How Much Does an Extended Warranty Cost?
The cost of an extended warranty on used cars will differ from vehicle to vehicle. Providers take into consideration your car’s model, because parts for luxury vehicles may be more expensive to repair or replace. They will also take into account the year, mileage, and condition of your vehicle, since used vehicles and vehicles with high mileage usually require more repairs.
Most dealership extended car warranties can cost over $1,500 with deductibles from $0 to $250. You may choose a more expensive plan with a lower deductible to save money, depending on what you’re willing to pay up front and how many claims you expect to make.
For affordable options, consider a third-party extended auto warranty provider like CARCHEX. We can compare rates and find the cheapest option for you.
Does Your Used Car Need More Than Routine Servicing?
Routine car care goes beyond oil changes and alignments. If you treat your car right, it could last you many years. No matter what you drive, all auto owners will experience costly repairs over the life of their vehicles. In fact, 89% of all vehicles on the road need some kind of service or repair.
With the right warranty, you can maintain your car without breaking the bank, saving on repairing heating and cooling systems, engine and transmission servicing, and more. Buying a used car doesn’t have to feel like a gamble when you have a protection plan.
Average Repair Costs
According to Kelley Blue Book, there are 10 reliable used car models recommended in 2019, including the 2011 Toyota Camry, 2013 Honda Civic, 2012 Mazda3, and more. It helps to buy a sturdy used vehicle, but regardless of its predicted durability, any used car can fail and benefit from the protection of a vehicle service contract.
If your new-to-you used car has already had to visit the mechanic for repairs, you know firsthand how quickly they can add up. If one of your vehicle’s major systems needs to be fixed, you might wonder, How am I going to pay for this?
Consider the examples below of common used vehicle repairs:
- AC doesn’t blow cold due to broken compressor: $740–$970
- Engine stalling due to failed crankshaft or camshaft sensor: $88–$193
- Ignition switch failure: $188–$236
- Wheel bearing replacement: $348–$506
- Intake manifold gasket replacement: $413–$587
Instead of going into debt to repair your used car, consider handing over the burden of financial risk to a used car extended warranty provider CARCHEX. With an extended warranty, you can give up the worry that comes with not knowing how to finance many of your car’s repairs.
Add Years to Your Used Car with an Extended Warranty from CARCHEX
Used cars can be among the most reliable vehicles with the right extended warranty. Get peace of mind quickly and affordably with CARCHEX. We work with the top warranty companies in the industry to ensure that you get the best coverage for your vehicle.
When it comes to selecting an extended warranty for your used vehicle, you have options specially designed to fit your needs and your budget. CARCHEX Extended Vehicle Protection Plans come in five levels of coverage. At those levels, there is a number of customizable protection plans to further tailor your coverage to your needs.
- Titanium Coverage covers all components of your used vehicle with a few exceptions (exclusionary coverage)—think of it as our version of bumper-to-bumper coverage.
- Platinum Coverage, our highest level of stated-component coverage, includes hundreds of specific components of major systems.
- Gold Coverage is our comprehensive coverage plan with flexible terms. It includes components on all of your vehicle’s major systems, which is often ideal for vehicles with mileage over 60,000 miles.
- Silver Coverage is our plan that gives you the essential coverage your vehicle’s major systems need.
- Bronze Coverage is our base-level plan designed to protect your wallet from the biggest costs associated with repairing your vehicle’s engine and transmission.
Get a Free Quote on an Extended Warranty for Your Used Car
Not sure where to begin? Give us a call to get a quote for an extended warranty that will meet your needs. Getting a quote for an extended warranty for a used car is fast and simple. Just call CARCHEX at 866-261-3457.
Car Care: http://www.carcare.org/car-care-service-schedules/general-service-schedule/
Better Business Bureau: https://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/extended-warranty-contract-service-companies/carchex-in-hunt-valley-md-23015869
Kelley Blue Book: https://www.kbb.com/car-news/10-best-used-cars-under-10000/2100005996/
Fiscal Tiger: https://www.fiscaltiger.com/better-buy-new-used-car/