- Benefits: Trip interruption, rental car, and towing reimbursements
Disclosure: This content was produced by an independent editorial party for the purposes of educating our customers, and is not influenced by the other business operations of CARCHEX.
Understand your coverage plan options for a Volvo extended warranty and how you can get the best plan for your vehicle and driving needs. Read on to discover the differences between your basic factory Volvo warranty and an extended warranty, and why getting extended coverage from CARCHEX is a smart option for Volvo owners.
VOLVO EXTENDED WARRANTY QUICK FACTS
Volvo Extended Warranty Plans
A Volvo extended warranty can be purchased at any time, even if your original warranty is still valid. Volvo dealerships refer to their extended limited service contracts as Volvo Increased Protection (VIP) Plans, which are available in four coverage levels up to 6 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.
As its name suggests, this plan covers your Volvo’s powertrain, including the engine, transmission/transaxle/transfer case, drive axle, and hybrid/plug-in electric/compressed natural gas/hydrogen components.
This plan covers everything in the VIP Powertrain plan, plus steering, brakes, air conditioning, front suspension, electrical, and additional hybrid/plug-in electric/compressed natural gas/hydrogen components.
The VIP Gold plan includes everything in the lower coverage levels, plus additional powertrain, steering, brakes, air conditioning, front suspension, electrical, and hybrid/plug-in electric/compressed natural gas/hydrogen components.
This is the most comprehensive Volvo extended warranty plan. It includes everything covered in the lower levels, plus additional components. It’s exclusionary bumper-to-bumper coverage with a short list of non-covered parts. Some of the exclusions are the exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, safety restraint systems, glass, and damage to the engine from water reaching the engine air intake system. Maintenance is also excluded.
Service Contracts for Certified Volvos
If you own a Certified by Volvo vehicle (the brand’s version of a certified pre-owned, or CPO, program), a VIP Volvo extended warranty contract has a few key differences:
- Deductibles range from $0 to $100.
- Terms up to 10 years are available through the VIP Platinum plan.
- Rental car reimbursement is up to $100 per day.
- Towing reimbursement is up to $100 per incident.
How Much Does the Volvo Extended Warranty Cost?
The cost of a Volvo extended warranty from the dealer is determined by:
- The vehicle’s model, age, and mileage
- Your deductible, which can range from $0 to $250
- The coverage level you select
An older car with higher mileage is probably more expensive to cover since it’s more likely to need repairs. Also, a higher coverage level is going to be more expensive.
Keep in mind that if you finance your extended car warranty through the dealership, it could be rolled in with your car payments. That means you could be paying interest on your extended warranty, which won’t be with the case with CARCHEX.
What’s Included in a Volvo Warranty?
When you purchase a new Volvo car from the dealership, the manufacturer’s warranty covers repairs and replacements for most parts of the car during the initial ownership period. Here is what’s included in a typical factory Volvo warranty:
- Limited Basic Service Warranty (4 years/50,000 miles)—This warranty covers repairs due to defects in materials or workmanship or parts supplied by Volvo. Essentially, any repairs needed as a result of flaws in the manufacturing process will be covered.
- Powertrain Warranty (4 years/50,000 miles)—This warranty covers the car’s major parts like the transmission, engine, and drive system supplied by Volvo.
- Volvo Lifetime & Parts Labor Warranty—This warranty covers a long list of parts that are covered if installed at an authorized Volvo dealer, such as batteries, brake pads, timing belts, filters, wiper blades, spark plugs, and more. Keep in mind that it doesn’t cover accessories, wear items, or consumables.
- Corrosion Warranty (12 years/unlimited miles)—This warranty covers your Volvo’s sheet metal if it rusts or corrodes through and creates holes.
- Emissions Warranties—Depending on your state, these warranties range from 2 years/24,000 miles to 8 years/80,000 miles.
- Manufacturer’s Recommended Maintenance—This warranty covers regular maintenance at the 10,000-mile, 20,000-mile, and 30,000-mile marks, or up to 36,000 miles.
- Roadside Assistance Warranty (up to 4 years)—This warranty offers emergency roadside assistance, trip interruption services, and rental cars.
Your factory warranty period will eventually end, and you’ll be stuck paying for numerous repairs that cost hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars if your car isn’t covered by a Volvo extended warranty. That’s why the manufacturer and third-party providers like CARCHEX offer extended coverage for Volvos.
If your Volvo is used, check out our list of the best extended warranty companies for used cars here. To learn how to choose the right extended warranty for your used Volvo, click here.
Is a Volvo Extended Warranty Worth It?
While Volvos are considered to be some of the safest and most reliable cars, like all vehicles, they still experience an array of problems, especially as they age. Here are some common issues that Volvo owners experience and the average cost of each repair, according to YourMechanic.
- Alternator Repair—The alternator is essential to powering your vehicle. To repair it, you will have to spend $296.41 to $409.01.
- Timing Belt Replacement—Without a properly functioning timing belt, your engine will not run. The average cost to replace a timing belt is between $584.47 and $653.07.
- Power Steering Pump Replacement—Power steering is an important component of your vehicle and can cause safety issues if the steering wheel is slow to respond or feels stiff. The average cost of replacing your power steering pump is anywhere between $573.96 and $654.76.
- Transmission Replacement—A transmission is essential in getting your car to run. Many Volvo owners complained that the transmission failed. A replacement can cost $3,500 to $4,000, according to CarComplaints.com.
While four years may seem like a long time to be covered, keep in mind that more repairs will be needed as vehicles age and experience wear and tear.
Extended Volvo Protection Benefits with CARCHEX
When you purchase your Volvo extended warranty from CARCHEX, you get access to these excellent benefits that are more affordable and flexible than what you’d get from the dealer:
- Free Direct Quote—Get a quote quickly and easily and speak to a warranty specialist about coverage options right away.
- Great Customer Service—Our promise to you is Customer Experience Above All, so we provide you with the information necessary to pick the best warranty. In fact, we boast an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- Affordable Payment Plans—Our plans don’t have to have a deductible, and we offer low monthly payments, so our customers don’t have to worry about being able to afford hefty lump sums.
- Direct Payments—Instead of you footing the bill and waiting for reimbursement, CARCHEX pays your selected auto shop up front.
- Your Own Repair Facility—Instead of being limited to the Volvo dealership to repair your car, you have the flexibility to choose your repair facility, mechanic, and parts.
- No-Haggle, Low-Price, Everyday Guarantee™—We promise to give you the lowest price up front instead of making you haggle over the phone.
- Extended Auto Warranty Benefits—CARCHEX offers extras like 24/7 emergency roadside assistance, rental car coverage, and towing services. Ask your customer service representative about how you can get these benefits with your coverage.
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee—We back our product and services with a customer satisfaction guarantee.
Get an Extended Vehicle Protection Plan with CARCHEX
We believe in giving plenty of options to our customers, so we offer five different levels of Extended Vehicle Protection Plans: Titanium, Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Within each level, you have the opportunity to customize your extended coverage plan for your Volvo.
From the Bronze Coverage plan that protects you from the most common and expensive repairs to the Titanium Coverage plan that provides the maximum amount of protection for your car, CARCHEX provides a number of options to fit your needs. We have options for hybrid or electric vehicles, as well as those that have passed the 100,000-mile mark.
Each plan is backed by an industry leader. Because these providers are all competing for your business, CARCHEX is able to secure you an affordable price.
Protect Your Volvo with an Extended Warranty Today
When you call CARCHEX, you’ll receive a quote that’s tailored to your Volvo’s model and age, as well as your driving habits and plans for the vehicle. To get your easy-access quote on a Volvo extended warranty and get answers to your questions, speak to one of our CARCHEX warranty specialists today by calling 866-261-3457.