Are you considering an extended warranty for your Chevy? Extended warranties can save your Chevrolet vehicle from expensive repair costs down the road. We’ll show you how to find the most comprehensive protection at the most affordable price. Keep reading to get peace of mind on the road.
What’s Included In A Chevy Factory Warranty?
Your Chevrolet may be covered by a standard manufacturer warranty. Chevy offers three main classes of factory warranties:
Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty:
Coverage is for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. This is the most extensive coverage that Chevy offers, covering almost everything in your vehicle from front bumper to rear bumper. Because it covers the most, it lasts the least amount of time.
Powertrain Limited Warranty:
The powertrain is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Powertrain warranty coverage is limited to:
- Transfer case
- Drive shafts
All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
While this factory coverage many seem sufficient, be sure to read the fine print on each of these options to understand exactly what repairs are covered—and more importantly, what parts are not included. Remember that after your factory warranty expires, you’ll be on the hook for all repairs to your Chevrolet.
The Most Common Chevrolet Problems
According to GM, four of the most popular Chevrolets are the Impala, Corvette, Camaro, and the Tahoe. Let’s take a look at the most common problems and repair prices for these models:
- Chevy Impala: Impalas tend to have issues with their front wheel bearings. A front wheel bearing replacement will cost you between $299 and $1,222.
- Chevy Corvette: One of the top issues for Corvettes are problems with the clutch. A clutch replacement can cost anywhere from $1,095 to $3,060.
- Chevy Camaro: Sometimes Camaros end needing head gasket repair or replacement. Unfortunately, this can cost from $1,138 to $2,901.
- Chevy Tahoe: If you own a Tahoe, keep an eye out for fuel pump issues. Fuel pump replacement can run from $195 to $851.
Are you willing to pay for these repair costs out of pocket? If not, consider an extended warranty.
Do I Need A Chevy Extended Warranty?
After learning about the limitations of Chevrolet factory warranties, many drivers wonder if they should purchase an extended warranty. Consider these three factors:
1. Options For Having Your Car Serviced. Third-party warranty providers usually allow for greater flexibility in servicing your vehicle, allowing you to visit thousands of licensed auto repair shops. With a Chevy factory warranty, you are only covered for service at authorized Chevy dealerships.
2. How Long You’ll Drive Your Car. A recent study showed that the average age of cars on our roads is 11.5 years. Chevy’s standard warranty generally only lasts for the first few years after you buy your vehicle. If you plan on driving your Chevy for years to come, without an extended warranty, you’ll be on the hook for any repairs after your factory warranty expires.
3. Resale Value. Many extended warranties are transferable from one owner to the next. If you’re looking to sell your Chevrolet in the future, having an extended warranty can increase its resale value—putting money back in your pocket.
Understanding your options and determining what is most important to you will help to make the best choice on warranties.
Purchasing A Chevy Extended Warranty
CARCHEX makes shopping for a Chevy extended warranty easy. Our A+ customer service rating from the Better Business Bureau means that you’ll find the best deal for your Chevy. Here’s an overview of our affordable and flexible vehicle protection plans:
We use proprietary technology to find the best pricing for the highest levels of coverage and offer affordable, flexible payment plan options. We also offer extra benefits such as 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental care!
Our protection specialists offer support and service online and over the phone toll-free at 866-261-3457. Get a free, instant extended warranty quote for your Chevy extended warranty today.
Better Business Bureau: https://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/extended-warranty-contract-service-companies/carchex-in-hunt-valley-md-23015869
USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/29/new-car-sales-soaring-but-cars-getting-older-too/